just keep swimming... just keep swimming



I'm experiencing some serious climate shock, and I'm fuckin' sick of it.
Last week I flew into a balmy 90 degree Arizona, it was fantastic, considering I was flying out of a blistering 14 degrees. This is probably why I contracted an upper respiratory infection. You can never go on vacation without ruining it, can you?!

However, this Tuesday flying back from Arizona wasn't so bad, I was greeted by a warming 55 degree pouring rain. The 3 feet of snow that was on the ground when I left? GONE!! I can see my yard! I can walk on the sidewalk without fear of breaking a hip! I can check the mail in my slippers if I want to! The following morning I turned on the television...

and HOLY FUCK! Welcome home, Orion!!

The raging red river that is just 6 cross blocks from my house, is now 24 feet over flood stage. I can't see my yard anymore! There's 8 inches of snow on the ground. Schools are closed because of the blizzard, but vacation has ended for me, my fuzzy little friends, I have to go to work. I'm trying plug my basement drains, reevaluate the sump pumps, shovel out the driveway, salt the sidewalks, check the city site, and what ever the fuck else I need to do. Do I have to go to work? Do I have to evacuate? What the fuck is going on? Why did I even come back?

This is just too much for me, and all that i have stuck in my tiny little mind is the forgetful and funny little blue fish from Finding Nemo... "just keep swimming... just keep swimming..."


9 comments:

Deb said...

Been watching your area on the news - very scary. Hope you are OK and fare well. I have an extra kayak if you need it.

Bee said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Orion. Andy and I stayed when they were asking us to evacuate. I know it might seem stupid but I'd rather see first hand where I'm getting screwed.

I hope the river stays away.

Orion said...

We'll be alright here. We have two levees protecting our neighborhood. Bee, I don't feel like leaving either... and Deb, bring your kayak i think the rivers ready.

Venom said...

I feel ya Orion - we live in Manitoba, far enough from the Red to be in line for flooding, but all our land is saturated from last year and it's been raining (then refreezing, oh joy) repeatedly of late. Hang tough & keep it dry.

Orion said...

Venom... you gotta love the north flowing rivers... eh?

NucMEd is Hot said...

YOu gotta love the basement drains. I pray they work for you as mine screws me at every opportunity.

Tiffany said...

42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

I don't even know what basement drains are or how they work. We don't have basements around here. If you need any info on what to do with flooding, let me know. I'm a pro since we've had a few hurricanes around here.

PhoenixAwakened said...

I came home from vacation in Florida and it was blizzarding, minus 10 (celcius), my car had broken down on its way to pick me up, and my luggage was still in denver.

Sometimes I think it would be best to just stay on a permenant vacation

shrink on the couch said...

From AZ to flood stage, that would be a rude awakening!